Q: Why would I work at Big Lake?
A: Um, because of its AWESOMENESS. Who doesn’t love being in the middle of the pristine outdoors, hangin’ with positive peers, and frolicking through the wood chips?! But in all seriousness, Big Lake is a great summer job. Many Adventist colleges will even match some or all of your pay. As a staff member at Big Lake Youth Camp you are able to learn life long skills, make life long friends, and create life long memories.
Q: How old do I have to be to work at camp?
A: The general starting age for staff is 18, but we do hire some 17 year olds.
Q: What time of year does the hiring process start?
A: Great question!!! We will start accepting employment applications for the 2019 Summer on December 1, 2018. Hiring decisions for summer staff are generally made in March.
In the fall, winter and spring, Big Lake Youth Camp’s facilities are available for rent to the public. If you are interested in a maintenance or guest relations position during our rental season, please contact our office at (503) 850-3583 or email@example.com.
Q: How do I apply to work at Big Lake?
A: There are a number of steps one must take to apply to work at Big Lake Youth Camp
(1) Carefully read through our Job Descriptions.
(2) Please read our Culture and Policies, to make sure Big Lake Youth Camp is the right fit for you.
(3) Complete the appropriate application. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, please complete the Returning Staff Application. All other applicants, including former Big Lake Youth Camp staff who worked in 2017 or before, please complete the Summer Staff Application.
If you are applying to work as a wrangler as your primary area, or if you are listing being a wrangler as your second or third choice on the application, you must fill also out our wrangler online form.
*Applications for employment during the 2019 summer will be accepted December 1, 2018-February 8, 2019.
(4) All applicants, except for those who worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, need to have a Dean/Teacher, Pastor and Work Supervisor each complete a recommendation form – a total of 3 recommendations must be submitted on your behalf. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, you do not need to have recommendations filled out on your behalf.
Dean/Teacher Recommendation Form
Pastor Recommendation Form
Work Supervisor Recommendation Form
*Recommendation forms will be accepted December 1, 2018-February 14, 2019.
(5) Interviews will occur in January and February. Les Zollbrecht, director of Big Lake Youth Camp, will be visiting and conducting interviews at a number of schools. Please check with your school’s front office or Chaplain for the interview sign-up sheet. If you do not attend one of these schools, please schedule a phone/Skype interview.
School Interview Dates:
Columbia Adventist Academy: January 11, 2019
La Sierra University: TBD
Livingston Adventist Academy: TBD
Milo Adventist Academy: TBD
Pacific Union College: TBD
Portland Adventist Academy: January 7-9, 2019
Rogue Valley Adventist Academy: TBD
Walla Walla University: TBD
Q: What if I want to volunteer at Big Lake this summer?
A: Wow! We would love to have you donate your time by volunteering at camp. Simply complete the Volunteer Form and we will get back to you if your particular skill set is needed.