Q: Why would I want to work at Big Lake?
A: Um, because of its AWESOMENESS. Who doesn’t love being in the middle of the pristine outdoors, hangin’ with positive peers, and frolicking through the wood chips?! But in all seriousness, Big Lake is a great summer job. Many Adventist colleges will even match some or all of your pay. As a staff member at Big Lake Youth Camp you are able to learn life long skills, make life long friends, and create life long memories.
Q: How old do I have to be to work at camp?
A: The general starting age for staff is 18, but we do hire some 17 year olds.
Q: What time of year does the hiring process start?
A: Great question!!! We will start accepting employment applications for the 2019 Summer on November 30, 2018. Hiring decisions for summer staff are generally made in March.
In the fall, winter and spring, Big Lake Youth Camp’s facilities are available for rent to the public. If you are interested in a maintenance or guest relations position during our rental season, please contact our office at (503) 850-3583 or email@example.com.
Q: I am involved in Pathfinders and am planning on going to Oshkosh, will that be possible if I work at camp?
A: Unfortunately, due to staffing constraints, it will not work out to both work at camp and attend Oshkosh.
Q: How do I apply to work at Big Lake?
A: There are a number of steps one must take to apply to work at Big Lake Youth Camp
(1) Carefully read through our Job Descriptions.
(2) Please read our Culture and Policies, to make sure Big Lake Youth Camp is the right fit for you.
(3) Complete the appropriate application. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, please complete the Returning Staff Application. All other applicants, including former Big Lake Youth Camp staff who worked in 2017 or before, please complete the Summer Staff Application.
If you are applying to work as a wrangler as your primary area, or if you are listing being a wrangler as your second or third choice on the application, you must fill also out our wrangler online form.
*Applications for employment during the 2019 summer will be accepted November 30, 2018-February 8, 2019.
(4) All applicants, except for those who worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, need to have a Dean/Teacher, Pastor and Work Supervisor each complete a recommendation form – a total of 3 recommendations must be submitted on your behalf. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2018, you do not need to have recommendations filled out on your behalf.
To send these forms, highlight the link below, right click, and then click the “copy” option and then “paste” into your email. If the people you send this form to have problems opening this form, please have them call our office at (503) 850-3583 and we can send them the form.
Dean/Teacher Recommendation Form
Pastor Recommendation Form
Work Supervisor Recommendation Form
*Recommendation forms will be accepted November 30, 2018-February 14, 2019.
(5) Interviews will occur in January and February. Les Zollbrecht, director of Big Lake Youth Camp, will be visiting and conducting interviews at a number of schools. Please check with your school’s front office or Chaplain for the interview sign-up sheet. If you do not attend one of these schools, please schedule a video chat interview or in office interview by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and letting us know two available times that would work for you. Please note, all times listed are PST (Pacific Standard Time) so you will need to account for any time changes if needed.
School Interview Dates:
Columbia Adventist Academy: Completed
La Sierra University: Completed
Livingston Adventist Academy: Completed
Milo Adventist Academy: Thursday, January 17, 2019
Portland Adventist Academy: Completed
Redlands Adventist Academy: Completed
Rogue Valley Adventist School: Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Walla Walla University: Tuesday – Thursday, January 22-24, 2019
|2/1/2019 Video/In Office Interviews – all times PST||2/12/2019 Video/In Office Interviews – all times PST||2/13/2019 Video/In Office Interviews – all times PST||2/21/2019 Video/In Office Interviews – all times PST|
|8:45am – GD||8:45am – GB||8:45am – TL||8:45am – RM|
|9:15am –||9:15am – JR||9:15am – NC||9:15am – BT|
|9:45am – RD||9:45am – FR||9:45am – AK||9:45am – TB|
|10:15am – ARP||10:15am – DT||10:15am – VS||10:15am –|
|10:45am – AS||10:45am -TH||10:45am – CC||10:45am – ES|
|11:15am – ES||11:15am – HW||11:15am – MB||11:15am – BF|
|11:45am – EH||11:45am – SS||11:45am – SY||11:45am – YS|
|1:15pm – CH||1:15pm – JW||1:15pm – MB|
|1:45pm – CK||1:45pm – LL||1:45pm -HR|
|2:15pm – RH||2:15pm – KS||2:15pm – CD|
|2:45pm – KW||2:45pm – IR||2:45pm – KN|
|3:15pm – Open||3:15pm – BG||3:15pm – AT|
|3:45pm -unavailable||3:45pm – WK|
|4:15pm – unavailable||4:15pm – EM|
To schedule a video chat interview, or in office interview, please email your contact information for Hangouts, Skype, FaceTime, phone number AND your top two time preferences to email@example.com.
Video chat interviews will be done from the Oregon Conference Office, 19800 Oatfield Rd, Gladstone, OR 97027. If you are in the area, an in-person interview is preferred.
Q: What if I want to volunteer at Big Lake this summer?
A: Wow! We would love to have you donate your time by volunteering at camp. Simply complete the Volunteer Form and we will get back to you if your particular skill set is needed.