Q: Why would I want to work at Big Lake?
A: Um, because of its AWESOMENESS. Who doesn’t love being in the middle of the pristine outdoors, hangin’ with positive peers, and frolicking through the wood chips?! But in all seriousness, Big Lake is a great summer job. Many Adventist colleges will even match some or all of your pay. As a staff member at Big Lake Youth Camp you are able to learn life long skills, make life long friends, and create life long memories.
Q: How old do I have to be to work at camp?
A: The general starting age for staff is 18, but we do hire some 17 year olds.
Q: What time of year does the hiring process start?
A: Great question!!! We will start accepting employment applications for the 2020 Summer on November 11, 2019. Hiring decisions for summer staff are generally made in March.
In the fall, winter and spring, Big Lake Youth Camp’s facilities are available for rent to the public. If you are interested in a maintenance or guest relations position during our rental season, please contact our office at (503) 850-3583 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How do I apply to work at Big Lake?
A: There are a number of steps one must take to apply to work at Big Lake Youth Camp
(1) Carefully read through our job descriptions.
(2) Please read our Culture and Policies, to make sure Big Lake Youth Camp is the right fit for you.
(3) Complete the appropriate application. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2019, you will need to complete the Returning Staff Application. All other applicants, including former Big Lake Youth Camp staff who worked in 2018 or before, you will need to complete the New Staff Application.
(4) All applicants, except for those who worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2019, need to have a Dean/Teacher, Pastor and Work Supervisor each complete a recommendation form – a total of 3 recommendations must be submitted on your behalf. If you worked at Big Lake Youth Camp in 2019, you do not need to have recommendations filled out on your behalf. These recommendations forms will be available on the application, so make sure to have the email addresses of the people you will ask to fill out the recommendation form for you handy.
*Recommendation forms will be accepted November 1, 2019-January 31, 2020.
(5) For our international applicants, interviews will be conducted in December. All other interviews will occur in January and February. Les Zollbrecht, director of Big Lake Youth Camp, will be visiting and conducting interviews at a number of schools. Please check with your school’s front office or Chaplain for the interview sign-up sheet.
School Interview Dates:
Columbia Adventist Academy: completed
Livingston Adventist Academy: completed
Milo Adventist Academy: completed
Portland Adventist Academy: completed
Pacific Union College: completed
Redlands Adventist Academy: 2/14/20
Rogue Valley Adventist School: completed
Walla Walla University: completed
|2/19/2020 Teams Interviews – all times PST||2/20/2020 Teams Interviews – all times PST|
|1:00pm – CL||9:00am –|
|1:30pm –||9:30am –|
|2:00pm – HJ||10:00am –|
|2:30am –||10:30am – JT|
To schedule a video chat interview, email your top two time/day preferences to email@example.com. Please note, all times listed are PST (Pacific Standard Time) so you will need to account for any time changes if needed. Your interview time is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from our office. In this confirmation email will be a link for an Outlook Teams meeting. If you choose to open this email on your phone, you will be asked to download an app, but if you open it with a laptop/computer that will not happen.
If you are local or are in the Portland/Gladstone area, an in-person interview is preferred. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your top two time/day preferences. You will receive a confirmation email with your confirmed time/day for your interview. This interview would be at the Oregon Conference Office, 19800 Oatfield Rd, Gladstone, OR 97027.
Q: What if I want to volunteer at Big Lake this summer?
A: Wow! We would love to have you donate your time by volunteering at camp. Simply complete the Volunteer Form and we will get back to you if your particular skill set is needed.